Sweating | Hyperhidrosis
Botulinum Toxin works by blocking the actions of the nerves that supply the eccrine sweat glands, resulting in reduced sweating. Multiple injections of either Botox® or Dysport® are placed in areas of excessive sweating.
- Axilla (underarms)
- Upper forehead | scalp
Muscle Tension | Tension Headaches
Botulinum Toxin is injected into muscular trigger points for various headache types. The resultant relaxation of the muscle results in headache reduction.
Botulinum Toxin is injected into the masseter muscle at the jaw angle. This reduces teeth grinding, tension headaches and tension around the jaw area.
PRE CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- Avoid blood thinning over the counter medications such as Aspirin, Brufen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications. Avoid Omega 3 fatty acids and Arnica as they also thin the blood and increase your risk of bruising. Panado is fine to use.
- Please notify me if you are using prescription or non-prescription blood thinners so extra precaution can be taken to avoid bruising.
- Come in 15 minutes early if you would like topical anaesthetic cream to be applied.
- If this is your first time receiving Botulinum Toxin Injections a “before” photo will be taken for your file.
- Botulinum Toxin is contraindicated in pregnancy and breast feeding. Other contraindications include rare neurological conditions, for example: Motor Neurone Disease, Myasthenia Gravis and Lambert-Eaton Syndrome.
- Tip: Take Zinc supplements to increase the effectiveness of Botulinum Toxin. Zinc is necessary for Botulinum Toxin to attach to nerve receptors.
POST CARE INSTRUCTIONS
- Do not rub the area for 6 hours following your treatment.
- Avoid any massage or pressure to the area for 4 days as this may disrupt the placement of the drug.
- Refrain from heavy exercise for 24 hours. Exercise can result in the Botulinum toxin migrating into unwanted muscles.
- Your treatment will take effect anywhere from 2-14 days, but most commonly within 35 days.
- Refrain from shaving the underarms / area injected for 2 days post procedure.
- Botulinum Toxin injections for hyperhidrosis can achieve an 80-90% reduction in sweating.
- The duration of action is anywhere between 2-6 months.